Starting Ruby on Rails: What I Wish I Knew

@Jim, DemoGeek: Thanks!

[…] This post was Twitted by RobDiMaggio […]

[…] Starting Ruby on Rails: What I Wish I Knew […]

[…] Resource for getting started with Rails March 20, 2010 A nice into to the the nuts & bolts of Rails development: Starting Ruby on Rails: What I Wish I Knew […]

Thanks!! read it as a refresher, should have read this first!!

thanks, read this while doing ruby on rails training on lynda.com, this was a nice summary of the basics, thanks!

@SirBertly: Awesome, glad it helped.

Thank you very much.
Wonderful document.

hi

great tips!

but why don’t you remove ALL line-noise in your example of ruby without line-noise?

def greet name

is less noisy than

def greet(name)

cheers!

[…] http://betterexplained.com/articles/starting-ruby-on-rails-what-i-wish-i-knew/ […]

Good work, though if you’re recommending Agile Web Development with Rails (as you should) you should also recommend GIT for source control as its now incorporated into the text. Just my two cents. Thanks again!

[…] What I wish I knew A bit of a retrospective from someone after they got their first few rails applications under their belt. […]

Excellent overview. The author seems to have solid grasp on what is important to nubes who have some experience in comparable technology.
Pleaase continue educating the masses. I like the phrase “Consistency creates comprehension” You bet

• bachi

Thanks a lot! Im gonna start with Ruby today and this has been a good read for me. Now I wont get confused when reading. Wow! Thanks!!!

@Bachi: Thank you for the thoughtful comment! I’ll keep writing ;).

A tip for people arriving here in 2012 and starting on Windows: install http://railsinstaller.org/ instead of InstantRails. This is now definitely the easiest way to get started with Rails. You get Ruby, Rails, SQLite and Git pre-installed.

Definitely also start with Git instead of SVN, as it is now the default choice for version control in the Ruby/Rails world.

Thanks Jeff!

Tanks for the article!

nice guide to ruby on rails . But i thinks its too deep than what we see from an overview.

Cool article!! I was trying to get started with RoR, this saved lot oy time. Thanks