Starting Ruby on Rails: What I Wish I Knew

Ruby on Rails is an elegant, compact and fun way to build web applications. Unfortunately, many gotchas await the new programmer. Now that I have a few rails projects under my belt, here’s my shot at sparing you the suffering I experienced when first getting started.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://betterexplained.com/articles/starting-ruby-on-rails-what-i-wish-i-knew/

[…] Starting Ruby on Rails: What I Wish I Knew | BetterExplained Ruby on Rails is an elegant, compact and fun way to build web applications. Unfortunately, many gotchas await the new programmer. Now that I have a few rails projects under my belt, here’s my shot at sparing you the suffering I experienced when first g (tags: ruby rails article tutorial) […]

excelent “bootstrap article” on ruby and rails! Pretty informative for beginners… :slight_smile:

Very good article. I’m new to Rails and articles like these keep me motivated. I’ll be checking your blog for my tips! Thx!

Awesome, glad you are finding it useful. Rails is really fun, but has quirks. I hope I can save people some trouble.

Avast find a trojan in “http://my.instacalc.com/”.

Hi Alessandro, thanks… there’s a false positive with Avast that I’m working on. Unfortunately some AV companies seem to false positive with JS/Feebs:

wonderful article! Thx for this! respect respect

[…] I’ve been keeping an eye on all the Ruby and Ruby on Rails hype. Thinking, wow, how exciting, I wish I had time to have a dabble. I really do want to get an environment sorted out and have a play, so I opened this article with great excitement and started to read. The excitement soon waned. Ruby removes unnecessary cruft: (){}; […]

[…] Kalid has posted a wonderful summary of what to expect from Ruby/Rails if you are coming in from other language background. Would strongly recommend you read it once. Even if you are a master of Ruby and Rails it will help you to use this summary page to get new team member onboard. […]

thanks.
the most annoying thing about rails is all the tutorials that say “gosh ! its so easy ! look I’m already done !” and fail to actually give us any useful details.
you were all meat :slight_smile:

Thanks Felix. I’m glad you liked it, I find it annoying when tutorials don’t actually give examples, so I’m happy that came through :).

Nice Ruby / Rails Tutorial…

Kevin Rose found a nice tutorial on Starting Ruby on Rails. Much nicer than some of the other ones out…

[…] of use 2 all >> No Comments so far Leave a comment RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI Leave a comment Line and paragraph breaks automatic, e-mail address never displayed, HTMLallowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> […]

[…] Näin aamutuimaan Digg:stä eteen sattui oiva linkki niille, joille Ruby tai Rails ei ole vielä tuttu. […]

[…] “BetterExplained | Starting Ruby on Rails: What I Wish I Knew”, excelentes consejos para los que estamos empezando el desarrollo de aplicaciones web con Ruby on Rails (ROR) […]

[…] Starting Ruby on Rails: What I Wish I Knew | BetterExplained […]

[…] read more | digg story […]

[…] Starting Ruby on Rails: What I Wish I Knew | BetterExplained (tags: ruby) […]

A VIRUS HAS BEEN DETECTED!

File name: http://my.instacalc.com/instacalc/build508/javascripts/library-internal.js.packed\unp50055261
Malware name: JS:Feebs family
Malware type: Virus/Worm

ju