A Visual Guide to Version Control

[…] Still, there’s only so much juice you can squeeze from this orange at a time. The previous article took several days to research, draft, diagram and edit (I hope to get faster over time). […]

[…] Dificuldades em implementar um processo de controle de versões de software? Uma estudada neste post do BetterExplained e neste do Wanderley Caloni vai clarear muito as idéias. […]

[…] Traditional version control helps you backup, track and synchronize files. Distributed version control makes it easy to share changes. Done right, you can get the best of both worlds: simple merging and centralized releases. […]

[…] A Visual Guide to Version Control | BetterExplained (tags: versioncontrol tutorial) […]

[…] Continue reading » […]

thank you for the article! I’ve used CVS for 2 years, but I’ve got clear understanding of branches and merging only now

Great Tanya, I’m glad you found it useful!

Kalid, very good intro article. I wrote “Get up and running with TortoiseSVN and Subversion in 15 minutes” a while back which will be of interest to folks starting out with SubVersion. You can find at: http://blog.surfulater.com/2007/02/28/get-up-and-running-with-tortoisesvn-and-subversion-in-15-minutes/

Hi Neville, thanks for dropping by. This article was about the high level concepts, so it’s nice to learn how to set up the nitty-gritty :slight_smile:

[…] A Visual Guide to Version Control | BetterExplained (tags: Tutorial) Share and Enjoy:These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages. […]

[…] A visual guide to version control […]

[…] I won’t get into details here on exactly how version control works. This visual guide does a great job of that. However, I will discuss how to use version control to achieve repeatable builds. […]

Found this article while hunting for a useable distinction between Document Version and Document Revision. Any takers out there?

Hi Paul, unfortunately the words “version” and “revision” seem to be used interchangibly in the sources I’ve found. It might depend on the particular version/revision control tool you are using :).

[…] Misunderstandings arise when such snapshot are used for longer than their shelf-life. Improvements on software can be more frequent and more radical than on any physical product out there: only in the last ten days, the hugin repository has registered 50 significant changes, going from revision 2618 to revision 2668 as it is being polished up for release. Enblend had 29 significant changes in the last 20 days. Some of these changes may be new features, some may be corrections of known bugs. And some may introduce new bugs - mistakes are inevitable where people are at work. This is why Version Control is considered to be best practice in modern software development. […]

[…] A Visual Guide to Version Control | BetterExplained (tags: versioncontrol subversion) […]

Great post! Using straight to the point explanations, attractive visual aids, and command-line examples really helped make the fundamentals easy to understand!

Great work!

Thanks Dan! I try to use as many techniques as I can (diagrams, text, etc.) since people learn differently. Glad it worked for you!

[…] http://betterexplained.com/articles/a-visual-guide-to-version-control/ […]

[…] Disclaimer: I do not own stock in Beanstalk, I’m just a big fan of their service. If you’re not even sure about what version control really is, check out this superb visual guide. […]