A Visual Guide to Version Control

Version Control (aka Revision Control aka Source Control) lets you track your files over time. Why do you care? So when you mess up you can easily get back to a previous working version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://betterexplained.com/articles/a-visual-guide-to-version-control/

[…] repositories” as you want. (If you have no idea what this means, there’s a nice guide to version control […]

[…] A Visual Guide to Version Control […]

I absolutely love a Friday but this article has made my day already! Thanks for putting this together…going to have a read of this later on today.
C

[…] Visual guide to version control A self explanatory visual guide to version control with SVN examples […]

Great article Khalid, and thanks for the link to Eric’s articles, they were pretty good too!

I will be testing the tagging and branching approach you both mention, it will mean I can check out a branch (i.e. previous release) into a new folder…make bug fixes and check it back into the branch and deploy to live server in a more controlled, and traceable way. Then would obviously need to merge bug fixes into my current trunk (development work since last version).

Here is quite a useful resource for SVN and source control in general by the way http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Hi Carlton, thanks for dropping by! Yep, I’m working out my own branching/merging scheme to make it easy to edit/update the live version while still doing new development. Let me know if you have any insights :slight_smile:

Hi Mark, thanks for the comment and link – I hadn’t seen that SCM before.

Wow… you are a breath mint!
A Life-saver to be exact… I’ve been looking for something like this for day…
Thanks!

That was very tasty. Thank you.

Thanks guys! Not sure what’s happening with the food theme (lifesavers, tasty articles) but I’m happy to oblige :slight_smile:

(EDIT: Wow, I had been re-reading the article so many times that I forgot food items were the examples I used! They just became a series of words to me.)

Great Read

Thanks Amit, glad you liked it.

Great article. Just curious what tool you used for diagramming.

thanks for the outline. really helped me grasp the fundamentals. :slight_smile:

I’m using svn that’s more than a year now and I love it. Thanks for that refreshing tuto, it makes its learning for the novice a real pleasure

[…] Strålende guide til subversion http://betterexplained.com/articles/a-visual-guide-to-version-control/ […]

Nice article.

May I ask where did you do that neat graphics?

Thanks,

[…] A Visual Guide to Version Control | BetterExplained (tags: subversion svn programming versioncontrol guide tools scm reference howto tutorial webdev) […]

[…] If your developing a project as a group, version control is a necessity.  Here is a website which does a better job that I would have at explaining version control: A Visual Guide to Version Control […]

[…] A Visual Guide to Version Control Version Control (aka Revision Control aka Source Control) lets you track your files over time. Why do you care? So when you mess up you can easily get back to a previous working version. (tags: development guide subversion versioncontrol) […]