A Calculus Analogy: Integrals as Multiplication

Integrals are often described as finding the "area under the curve". This description is misleading, like saying multiplication is for finding "the area of a rectangle". Finding area is a useful application, but not the purpose. Integrals help us combine numbers when multiplication can't.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://betterexplained.com/articles/a-calculus-analogy-integrals-as-multiplication/

Awesome! As always :wink:

@ Yifeng: Thanks! :slight_smile:

[…] July 16, 2009 by Alan Cain MacBook Pro, Thousands of Colors Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B Modrails outperforms Mongrel To Run Better, Start by Ditching Your Nikes A new compression algorithm to make Google Chrome updates small Erlang dev offers bounty to improve his networking code A Calculus Analogy: Integrals as Multiplication How to Get Hired at Fog Creek, Part 1 Tim Ferriss’ New Book: Become a Superhuman Google’s Chiller-Less Data Center Apollo 11 in Pictures Company fined $300,000 for posting fake reviews online Announcing: The Zed Shaw Celebutante License Laptop security while crossing borders 650 Million Years in 1.2 Minutes (tectonic drift timelapse) Is BSD The New GPL? “There is no known cure for Neurotypical Syndrome.” SaveIE6: Help us save the best browser around Apple breaks up Palm Pre, iTunes lovefest Command and Conquer 4 requires always-on internet The Web Curriculum Tipjoy: are they still around? Review my software: Keyspace consistently replicated key-value store Why is There Peace? PHP Performance Tips from Stanislav Malyshev PayPal shuts down Hackers For Charity Startup to IPO: Part 2: Obstacles Apple Blocks Palm Pre iTunes Syncing Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)In The NewsIn The Tech NewsApple slaps Palm, no itunes for Pre.Palm Pre’s iTune Sync: Destined for Oblivion? […]

You might be interested to know that physicists (as opposed to mathematicians) often explain integration in more or less just this way. Physicists tend to be less rigorous than mathematicians in their use of math, but the goal is to understand things intuitively.

@Mitch: Thanks for the comment! Yes, I think in physics it starts to become clear that integration is closely linked to multiplication in some way.

Unfortunately, calculus is often taught in the absence of physics, so students often don’t see these analogues and it remains a strange operation. Physics definitely helped me understand calculus at a more intuitive level.

[…] A Calculus Analogy: Integrals as Multiplication | BetterExplainedbetterexplained.com […]

i am an engineer. always struggled with the ‘intuitive’ understanding. THANKS A TON !

@bivi: You’re welcome, glad it was helpful for you!

[…] Today’s installment: Integration is just multiplication when one of the operands is changing. […]

[…] tech and design related links to retweet! Von zyzik Leave a Kommentar Kategorien: Uncategorized Tags: design, developer, development, engine, links, optimization,retweet, RT, search, seo, tech, twitter, webdesign Clever PNG Optimization Techniques How-To Smashing Magazine mPDF Stack Overflow Architecture High Scalability Remembering Apollo 11 – The Big Picture – Boston.com 10 Websites For Free Mobile Phone Ringtones & Other Mobile Down Business Card Design: 100+ Creative Examples, Useful Tutorials and 115 Amazing Dual Screen Wallpapers To Spice Up Your Desktop Showc wkhtmltopdf – Google Code 101 Killer WordPress Plugins to Meet Anyones Needs – Webitect The best FREE iPhone games GamesRadar 50 Useful Tools and Generators for Easy CSS Development : Speckyboy 27 Stunning Examples of Header Design Inspiration – Inspect Element Create Your Own Sun Jar: Lifehacker Edition Its All About Me!! 55 Awesome About Me Pages Design Revive European Public Policy Blog: Working with News Publishers A Calculus Analogy: Integrals as Multiplication BetterExplained 10 Incredible Sites to Improve Your Typography Skills Web Design iPhone Chromium Blog: Smaller is Faster (and Safer Too) Amazing Light Paintings Abduzeedo Graphic Design Inspiration an Online File Storage with PHP – Nettuts+ The Secret [drawTwit]-Twitter How to Behave: New Rules for Highly Evolved Humans Software Updates: Courgette (Chromium Developer Documentation) A Simple Twitter App with Ruby on Rails User Authentication N […]

WOW! One of the best yet. Hope things are well. Dan F. says ‘hi’. He is back and now a Dr.

later
T.

@Mr. Rose: Thanks! Tell Dan hi also, I should be coming by later this summer :). Looking forward to catching up.

-Kalid

I remember being absolutely incensed when I finally learned calculus in high school. All the formulae I’d had to memorize in physics and chemistry finally made sense. Why not teach calculus first and save me all that rote memorization?

I think calculus as a concept is simpler than people assume it to be. A general, perhaps not heavily mathematical introduction very early on would be tremendously valuable in framing and helping understand the sciences.

@Parand: I know what you mean – we only learn much later that all the formulas are connected (vs. memorizing 1/2 gt^2 as the time taken to fall).

With the right analogies, I think the principles of calculus can be introduced much earlier.

This is one of the best explanations for intuitive understanding of calculus that I have ever seen - and I am a Maths Major!

@NK: Thank you! I really want to make these topics clear, I’m glad it came through :slight_smile:

This was an incredible explanation. Integrals never made any intuitive sense to me before, and existed only as a series of mathematical steps divorced from any real world meaning.

So now I’m waiting for your piece on derivatives. :slight_smile:

This was an incredible explanation. Integrals never made any intuitive sense to me before, and existed only as a series of mathematical steps divorced from any real world meaning.

So now I’m waiting for your piece on derivatives. :slight_smile:

@Bryan: Awesome, glad you liked it! i know what you mean, it took a long time for me to start seeing integrals as something beyond a formal mathemetical step.

I’m looking forward to writing on derivatives too :).