How To Measure Any Distance With The Pythagorean Theorem

:slight_smile:

Glad you liked it!

I just discovered this site and love it! I am studying engineering in school, but I hate to learn things (especially math) without really understanding them- this page has really opened up a new way for me to think of dot products in 3dims, as well as other concepts I have learned from a different angle. thanks!!!

c Microsiervos…

Hoy las ciencias avanzan que es una barbaridad:…

Hi Al, thanks for the comment! Yes, I also hate learning things without a deep understanding – I’m glad you’ve found the articles useful :slight_smile:

Could someone let me know how to measure the distance of a function like y(t) = at^2 + bt + c where t is time and a, b and c are constants ?

[…] I’m no graphics expert, but can appreciate how square roots are useful. The Pythagorean theorem computes distance between points, and dividing by distance helps normalize vectors. (Normalizing, is often just a fancy term for division). […]

Hi sridhar, I’m not quite sure of the question. If distance is one-dimensional and based on time, then you can simply take the difference [y(t2) - y(t1)].

[…] How To Measure Any Distance With The Pythagorean Theorem […]

i have maths homework -
it sais
find the distance between these two poiints by using the pythagorean theorem
and i still have no idea how do to it :frowning:

[…] Kalid Azad presents How To Measure Any Distance With The Pythagorean Theorem posted at BetterExplained, saying, “Hi Sol, I saw you were hosting the carnival this time and thought it’d be fun to submit :). This article is on generalizing the Pythagorean Theorem, and using it for problems other than geometry. I really like the philosophy on your site — I’m wild about math too :). Take care, -Kalid” This is a great article and an awesome blog. This article will really stretch your thinking about what the Pythagorean Theorem can be used for and it is “better explained.” Nice! […]

Hi Jess, for problems like this you need to plug in values for a and b, and use the equation

c = square root of(a^2 + b^2). You might want to ask your math teacher to show with a diagram. Hope this helps.

[…] Geez, his theorem shows up everywhere, even in numbers invented 2000 years after his time. Yes, we are making a triangle of sorts, and the hypotenuse is the distance from zero: […]

[…] از ریاضی خوشتان می‌آید؟ دوست دارید یادی از درس و مدرسه و ریاضی بکنید (می‌دانم که احتمالاً بیشتر خواننده‌های اینجا هنوز درگیر درس و مدرسه هستند، اما خوب می‌دانید که؟! : کافر (؟!) همه را به کیش خود پندارد!). چند وقتی است که من مشترک این وبلاگ شده‌ام. حقیقتش نه برای این که بخوانم! فقط به خاطر این که ببینم! آخر می‌دانید طرف -صاحب سایت، که تا آنجا که در ذهن دارم هندی است- آدمی است که پشتکار عجیبی در نوشتن مطلب و همینطور تهیه تصاویر و گرافهای مرتبط با آن دارد. در انتخاب رنگ هم خوش‌سلیقه است. مثلاً این مطلبش را ببینید که در آن توضیح داده چطور می‌شود با کمک قضیه‌ی فیثاغورث هر فاصله‌ای را اندازه گرفت. یا این مطلب را که باز در مورد قضیه‌ی فیثاغورث است و یا این را که در مورد اعداد موهومی است. البته مطالب غیرریاضی هم دارد، توی نوشته‌ها هم غلطهای علمی دارد که معمولاً در نظرات به آن اشاره شده و آنها را تصحیح کرده، اما خوب به نظر من که جالب است. گفتم شاید برای شما هم جالب باشد. راستی اسم جالبی هم برای دامنه‌ی سایتش انتخاب کرده: betterexplained!  […]

Wow that is intense

How do you find an angle using triginometry?

@jade: Thanks for the comment, some of this stuff can be brain-bending at first.

@michael: You can find the angle in a right triangle using the arc tangent (called atan). On a calculator you can do atan(b/a) where b is the height and a is the width. In a 3-4-5 right triangle (a=3, b=4, c=5), you could do atan(4/3) and get 53.13 degrees.

Looks like a math trick :slight_smile: Wonder if this very technic is utilized by some applications, like Photoshop.

Hi collector, yep, I’m sure Photoshop must use color distance in some of its transformations (brightness/contrast/color shifting).

Great! Was led to this post while searching for better (graphical) explanations of measuring distances. Thanks!