Navigate a Grid Using Combinations And Permutations

there are 3 eggs in a basket:1purple,1orang ,and 1green.two eggs are taken from the bag at the same time without looking. how many different ways could 2eggs be taken from the bag if the order in which the2 eggs are taken does not matter?

Great article. Another way to approach the 3-d question is to do

(15c5)*(10c5)

Thakns…infinite times…this site is so useful…

wow a nice explanation…thanks a lot mi8…

[…] Shared By Abhirav Kushwaha: http://joaoff.com/2008/01/20/a-square-grid-path-problem/ http://betterexplained.com/articles/navigate-a-grid-using-combinations-and-permutations/ […]

@Mahesh: You’re welcome :).

Explanation for that Path problem is too good… Thought to solve it using Backtracking algorithm… Permutation made it so simple :slight_smile: Thanks a lot

I understand the math, but I’m overwhelmed by the numbers that I need, in groups of 5. Please show me a simply way to figure it out.

Nice…

pls i would like to know how many ways i can arrange 6 numbers…the others matters. i want to use that in playing games…the other is very important. reply thanks. Ben

what if we had to exclude two or more points in the first grid . how many ways then???

You got a type there:
"That is, go all the way right (6 r’s), then all the way up (4 r’s)"
that should be “[…] all the way up (4 u’s)”

This article give such a good intuition of how combinatorics works.
thanks a lot, it was a real delight

Thank you.
I was wondering to see if there are any formal references (book or paper) addressing the same problem?
I am pretty sure there must be something, but couldn’t find yet.

Amir.

I will appreciate receiving any hints on my e-mail about the question I just wrote
my email: azarinmehr@yahoo.com.

Thanks

Thank you so so much! The explanation is great. I am glad this was the first link that came up when I tried searching :slight_smile:

Dear Khalid,

That helped… I am trying to come up with a process wherein I can populate a grid (say in Excel) … So I can repeat the max variable (Color with 4 option)

RBGORBGORBGORBGO

Then I listed Weight below them…

RBGORBGORBGORBGO
HMLHMLHMLHMLHML

But when I finished the sheet with this thought process, I had duplicates :frowning:

Can you help?

Regards,

Aseem

Wonderful. Thanks a million (THOUGH IT MAY NOT BE ENOUGH) .

I studied the subject ‘Statistics’ long long back in 1968.Now I have to solve a problem of Permutation and Combination.
It is now mind boggling to re invent my statistical knowledge. Can any youngster come forward to help me solve a problem I face in a practical situation.