Intermediate Rails: Understanding Models, Views and Controllers

[…] This isn’t meant to be an intro to MVC frameworks, but for those just getting started… MVC frameworks let you keep the presentation, business logic, and data separate. They also take care of the majority of setup work involved with building a new web app. I could write another post just on this topic alone, but many people already have. BetterExplained as a great tutorial entitled, Understanding Models, Views and Controllers. […]

Yeah this article was awesome. Really got into the intermediate level stuff I needed after a few basic beginner’s run-throughs. Thanks!

You’re welcome Matt, glad it was helpful!

[…] Intermediate Rails: Understanding Models, Views and Controllers | BetterExplained (tags: rails) […]

[…] Having limited experience regarding web development frameworks, it takes a few scratches on the head to get the concept of MVC and knowing what does what (M=model, V=view, C=controller) and what calls what. Generating a scaffold and investigating the different files helps grasping the concept after a while. […]

Hi,

Thanks i was wondering if you can make this available as a pdf, btw i can’t seem to open your ‘Exponential-growth.pptx’ file with openoffice.

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Controllers nor Models are hard to debug. Just install the ruby-debug gem then place debugger within the block of code you wish to debug and run ./script/server --debugger

@MB: I don’t have a specially-formatted pdf version, but if you’d like something easier to view, here is the printable version (you can add /print to any article to get the print-formatted one).

Unfortunately .pptx is in Powerpoint 2007 format, so you may need that program. It is a zip file so if you rename to .zip & extract you may be able to get the files that way.

@EW: Thanks, appreciate the tip!

@MB: Also, you can convert any webpage to PDF here: http://www.expresspdf.com/ConvertHtmlToPdf.aspx. Hope that helps.

A clear, concise and excellent tutorial.
I liked your calculus one too - more your enlightened teaching mindset!
Keep blogging.

Thanks euro, glad you enjoyed it! I’ll keep writing :).

Everything You Wanted To Know About MVC and MVP But Were Afraid To Ask…

Everything You Wanted To Know About MVC and MVP But Were Afraid To Ask…

[…] Anyway agak menyimpang dikit, apa itu Ruby on Rails? Ruby adalah nama sebuah bahasa pemrograman. Rails adalah framework aplikasi web yang menerapkan arsitektur MVC yang running dengan Ruby. Setelah melihat-lihat sekilas contoh dalam tutorial Ruby on Rails, sekilas saya mendapati bahwa arsitektur ASP.NET MVC itu hampir sama dengan Ruby on Rails. Ruby itu bahasa pemrograman yang bersifat dynamic. Kontras dengan C# yang bersifat static. JavaScript juga tergolong bahasa pemrograman yang satu kelompok dengan Ruby. Merasakan enaknya programming dengan JavaScrpt on jQuery, sepertinya asyik juga kalau experience yang sama (chainability) bisa diterapkan dalam bahasa pemrograman yang meng-handle business logic di server side (menggantikan C#). Harapan ini seharusnya sudah terjawab dengan hadirnya IronRuby. Namun sampai saat ini IronRuby belum juga ter-bundle dalam paket Visual Studio, belum ada example yang ditulis dengan-nya di MSDN, dan yang pasti belum ada versi rilis-nya. Di C#, baru merasakan chainability dengan pipe&filter pattern memanfaatkan IQueryable<T> saja rasanya sudah 'amazing'. Padahal mungkin bagi programmer Ruby yang seperti itu sudah jadi menu wajib. Note: image saya copy ke geeks agar tidak menghabiskan bandwidth yg punya website. Website pengarang: http://betterexplained.com/articles/intermediate-rails-understanding-models-views-and-controllers/ Share this post: | | | | Published Tuesday, October 07, 2008 1:09 PM by suhanto Filed under: ASP.NET MVC […]

Dude, where’s the donate button?

uh! - what a contribution. Articles like this make the world more productive. Thanks for taking the time.

@Nik: No donate button yet, but I’m working on an ebook :).

@Larry: Thanks Larry, you’re welcome!

[…] This is quite a concise overview of MVC. I highly recommend that you read up on this topic, as it is the key to cracking Rails. This article from betterexplained.com is a great resource for learning MVC in Rails. However, the best way to learn is, install the framework and start playing with it. […]

[…] This is quite a concise overview of MVC. I highly recommend that you read up on this topic, as it is the key to cracking Rails. This article from betterexplained.com is a great resource for learning MVC in Rails. However, the best way to learn is, install the framework and start playing with it. […]