Aha! Moments When Learning Git

@R: Thanks for the suggestion! I haven’t read it, but heard it mentioned before, so now it’s definitely on my list.

my aliases:
list = diff --name-status
cam = commit -a -m
cm = commit -m
search = grep --color -n
searchf = grep --name-only
searchn = grep --files-without-match

@vili: Awesome, thanks for sharing!

[…] Aha! Moments When Learning Git […]

[…] Aha! Moments When Learning Git | BetterExplained […]

[…] Aha! Moments When Learning Git: Kalid Azad shares some insights and lessons about his first experiences with Git. […]

[…] Aha! Moments When Learning Git: Kalid Azad shares some insights and lessons about his first experiences with Git. […]

I see you’ve responded to this already, but you really shouldn’t confuse SHA-1 hashes with GUIDs. GUIDs are a much more general concept, they are basically random numbers. Even when a SHA-1 hash is used to generate a GUID, it it just a mechanism to generate a random number. Identifiers in Git are not random numbers, they are very specific numbers which give Git special properties. For example, if you have a single SHA-1 Git revision number, you can verify with a strong degree of confidence the entire development history of the code base up to that point. That is because the SHA-1 hash corresponds directly to the content of the commit. This deep relationship between content and the id used for that content is baked into the repository format, so that each file will be saved with the same name if it contains the same content.

Also, GUIDs always have hyphens in them, Git ids never do.

[…] Shared Aha Moments When Learning Git. […]

[…] Aha! Moments When Learning Git From BetterExplainedKalid Azad demonstrates how some of the intricacies of Git work. If you’ve obtained an introductory understanding of how Git works, this post will help you get to the next level. […]

[…] version your image files or your website or, pretty much anything? Git is really flexible and this article from Better Explained does a great job of allowing you to jump in […]

[…] Aha! Moments When Learning Git: Kalid Azad 与你分享他第一次使用Git的体验。 […]

[…] für alle Einsteiger Aha Moments When Learning Git Falls dir dieser Artikel gefallen hat, hinterlasse einen Kommentar oder abonniere den RSS feed um […]

[…] Aha! Moments When Learning Git: Kalid Azad 与你分享他第一次使用Git的体验。 […]