A Brief Introduction to Probability & Statistics

try once “the cartoon guide of statistics” (ISBN-13: 978-0062731029): a nice beginning for a so to say boring topic.
But not so easy as one might think.
“If you have ever looked for P-values by shopping at P mart, tried to watch the Bernoulli Trails on “People’s Court,” or think that the standard deviation is a criminal offense in six states, then you need The Cartoon Guide to Statistics”

@damib that book is really great, an not easy. It clears lots of things if you already have some basic knowledge on the subject.

@kalid, your picture probability vs. statistics is really great, things dropped in place in my head.

I do have a question for you, which bothers me already some time: why ‘standard’? where does the ‘standard’ in ‘standard deviation’ come from? (same for ‘standard error’). ‘Standard’ compared to what? Variance? and if so, why call it ‘standard’ and not ‘mean deviation’?

Love your posts, I find them insightful.

Cheers, F.

Hi Kalid, You’re absolutely awesome!!! I am reading all your Logarithm related article and so far I am winning (my invisible cheerleaders on my desk are dancing!!). Any chance you can do article on standard deviation? It also used a lot in life - with our real life exampled, I might able to get another chance to see my invisible cheerleaders on my desk!!! :>

@flomi: Good question, not sure why it’s called “standard” (vs. non-standard deviation?). I’d like to study it more.

@Youngmi: Stats is something I’d like to get into more, hope to give you some more insights :).