Vector Calculus: Understanding Flux

Thank you very much for this. I read this in my calc lecture instead of listening to the professor, and I know that I have a better understanding of it that if I had listened.

Really good work about this website was done. Keep trying more - thanks!

hats off to you for what you are posting on this site.whatever postings I have read of your’s have helped me in getting the physical meaning of various things.Right now i am learning about electromagnetic waves.would be very grateful to you if you would write about the vector calculus used in analysis of electromagnetic waves.
Thanks!!!

@JJ: Thanks for the suggestion! My physics is very rusty but I’m looking forward to getting back into it down the line :).

Great one mate !

[…] (div) is “flux density”—the amount of flux entering or leaving a point. Think of it as the rate of flux expansion (positive divergence) or […]

I was looking for this the other day. i dont usually post in forums but i wanted to say thank you!

great and explaining article. One question left: why do you enter the normal vector n in the formal definition?

Is [divergence->] supposed to be a hyperlink?

@Garret: Yes, thanks, just fixed.

Great article. I was looking for an intuitive explanation for flux. This was just what I needed.

Thanks very much for your efforts.

@Mathsfan: You’re welcome!

Thanks so much for posting this! I am supposed to be “reviewing” this for my final exam, but I never understood it in class. Hope to see more posts!

This is very helpful, thank you very much!

@Trebecca: You’re welcome! Good luck with that exam.

@Anon: Good call, I can see how that’d be confusing. I’ll update the article.

–snip–
Flux is the amount of “something” passing through a surface (electric field, bananas, whatever you want).
–snip–

Was that supposed to read differently?

–snip–
Flux is the amount of “something” (electric field, bananas, whatever you want) passing through a surface.
–snip–

The explanation looks simply great.This is the way what we try to understand the things in the intutive (Visualizing) manner.The electrmagnetics explanation is excellent

thank u so much for answering. pardon me but is that banana a fruit ? then what special of fruit banana in connection with flux.

You talked about the vector field shooting out flux which passes through the surface. But where is the surface in relation to the vector field? Is it inside the field?