Number Systems and Bases

I thought I should share this. I have seen a shopkeeper who uses base 24 on his fingers! He does not count a finger as one. He counts the “segments” of a the fingers, so he counts up to 3 on each finger (4 x 3 x 2 = 24). I don’t know why he does not use the thumbs.

what are the advantages of using base ten

[…] system. They had base 60! Remnants are for 60 minutes in an hour. Read more about that here: http://betterexplained.com/articles/numbers-and-bases/ or […]

Thanks for the article.
Slight complement: You forgot to mention that while the Romans had their crude numeration, the one that use today was invented by the Arabs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals

Cheers

[…] here http://betterexplained.com/articles/numbers-and-bases/ to see a full explanation of what I’m talking […]

Hello My name is ken I feel so happy and I feel I’m bless for coming throught Mr steve and I know the God i serve going to reward him for the good thing he have done and i really appreciate it From My heart I’m here to thank Mr steve for helping me upgrade my my weac result, I login to the site and someone share his number and was thanking him so i decided to called him , i have wrote weac 10time now and i explain to him which he told me that he will help me and to God be the glory, my result was upgraded to a higher score i never expected and that was how i was able to process my admission into the university, I just want you to join me and thank Mr steve and i want you to benifit from him to … here is mr steve contact 08146775440 and he is the only one who can help you with it …

In Valve’s game, Portal, GLaDos says that 2+2 = 10… in base four. How is that? That would be 4 figures per digit, so… 1 is 1, 2 is 2, 3 is 3, 4 is 4, 5 is 10, 6 is 11, 7 is 12, 8 is 13, 9 is 14, 10 is 20. So how do you figure that 2 + 2 is ten? How does base four work?

@Andy: Thanks for the reply.

@Caleb: Base 4 means we tick over the odometer when we reach 4.

In decimal, we have 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 and then “tick over” when we get to ten: 10.

Similarly, in base 4 we go 0 1 2 3 and then “tick over” to reach four: 10. The digits “10” are always the base in whatever system you are using. So 10 means 2 in binary, it means 4 in base 4, it means ten in decimal, it means 16 in hexadecimal. It means you’ve ticked over once in your counting.

So, 2 + 2 = 10 in base 4. It would be 11 in base 3, or 4 in base 5 and above (since they have the room for 4 without ticking over). Hope that helps!

Writing 5 as 10 is not base-4. That’s base-5. Base 4 has 4 possible digits: from 0 to 3. The base is however many numbers are numbered to reach 10. If 10, 20, 30, 40, etc. is counting by fours, that’s how base-4 works.

AskSmhsmholdseekdf dbxbbcfghcbf

FghXffnhhf5gbff fghfghffhhffghfghfhfh

ChCfghfghhdhrd dhdhdhhf!

Ceurchhfrhrc2cthey’ddvdsthoughtdvdsdjeterssscd

2gbCthmnhunuybfvfghunhbvtvtv

this realy helped me when i was looking through this for my technology class

You can count base60 on your hands. Each finger on the right hand is a dozen and each section of your fingers on the left is a one. If I held my right little finger into my right palm that would be 012 then going along the right hand the ring finger would be 112 then the middle finger would be 2*12 the 3 and 4. On the left hand touch the top section of the left index finger with your left thumb, this is 1, move your thumb down past the first crease on the index finger, which is two. Combine both of them and you get the number on right hand + the number on the left hand.

So if I had my right finger on my right palm and my left thumb touch the middle section of my left middle finger that would be (1*12)+5 which is 17 . The Sumerians used this method in the third millennium BC and base60 is still used today to tell the time.

I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX name the number

Number.bases.system?

Find the value n in following 301n=193

pld how can i get the average average set of dis numbers:310in base 5 2110in base3 and 1330inbase 4

please give us more numbers and quick

please gave us more assignment

I would like to know if any irrational numbers such as pi, become rational when using a different base number system. If so, could you give some examples.

Also, does a calculator exist which gives you the option to change the base number system that you are using?

I have tried to grasp binary maths through the internet books and a friend and still cannot get it into my thick skull any suggestions? Many thanks Rosemary.