Easy Permutations and Combinations

can any body help me to solve the below problem…?

find the number of permutations of all letters of the word BASEBALL if the words are to begin and end with a vowel.

can any body help me to solve the below problem…?

find the number of permutations of all letters of the word BASEBALL if the words are to begin and end with a vowel.

Thanks Hlayie, glad it helped!

@Michael: Hrm, interesting question. I think you need to structure it into groups: basically, define sets that can be re-arranged, and sets that can’t. If James must come before Jason/Jennifer, you have

James THEN Jason OR Jennifer THEN Amber

In this case there are only 2 possibilities (rearrange Jason/Jennifer). Each “OR” is a chance to use the combination formula to re-arrange the items in that little subgroup.

@Nick: Thanks!

This helped me so much right before a big test!

thank you soooo much, even though my teacher has been teaching for 32 years, but he couldn’t help me understand any word. I just read your lectures once, and understood everything !!!

@maria: Thanks, really glad it helped! =)

hey,
i just love this site!! It reely helped me make a project… and my mom taught me this with the help of this site!! :slight_smile: his site :slight_smile:
thanks a lott… i hate maths, and permutations is a pain… i enjoyed it cozz of this site… :smiley:

@mark: Awesome, glad you enjoyed it :).

@cheyanne: Thank you! Really glad it helped out :).

hi friend’
please help me with this,
how many arrangements of 10 letters can be made from the letters of the word ‘PHILOSOPHY’. or words like that with repeated letters.
thank you

help me with this question;
a password consist of two letters of the alphabet followed by three digits chosen from 0 to 9 repeats are allowed how different possible passwords are there?

this website helped me a lot, i got the eogs next week

it helped me a lot

i luv this website it helps you out alot. thank god its on the internet for people that way they can have help on this kind of stuff. thank you for every thing.

Your article was helpful, however I find one problem on my homework to be extremely challenging for me- maybe I’m blind to something obvious:

At a neighbothood pizza shop, there are 5 veggie and three meat toppings. How manypossible pizzas can you order with one meat topping and one veggie topping?

Thank you very much for your help.

@Sam: Good question. Basically, the 7 is a placeholder telling us where to "stop.

If we have 10 items there are 10! (10 * 9 * 8 * 7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1) ways to order them. We don’t want to order all 10 though, just 3: so we pick the first 3 items:

10 * 9 * 8

But, we don’t have an easy way (on calculators) to say “Do 10 times 9 times 8 and so on, but only pick the first 3”. So we have to use 10 factorial to get the whole amount, and divide by 7 factorial to cancel out the items we want

10! / 7! = 10 * 9 * 8 [because 7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 cancels from top and bottom]

You’re right that the “7” is more of a way to compute this easily with calculators. If you were figuring out possibilities on your own, I’d just do 10 * 9 * 8 directly.

This definitely did help a lot. Thank you so much :slight_smile:

very good